A glimpse of the past week and the few articles, podcasts, tools, videos and music that captivated my attention:
Last Saturday, Meena and Shasta joined me in Trivandrum, where we spent a few days with my uncle. I would have liked to show Meena around, but with Shasta not keeping too well and a quick fly-by trip to Ernakulam, we didn’t have much time. Mama’s never flown before and he was ecstatic both during and after the flight to Kochi. Supremely glad we could fit that in. Also, while repacking the check-in bag in Kochi, Meena spotted a little mouse scurrying inside! Likely that this one hopped in from Trivandrum and we’re beyond surprised it wasn’t noticed in the scan at the airport!
It’s Shasta’s birthday next week! We’d be flying on the 19th, so we decided to celebrate her birthday with multiple outings through this week. With Sneha visiting India, we had dinner with the family at the Madras Boat Club on Thursday evening. Meena suggested we get a few kids along to spend some time on the beach with Shasta on Saturday. Wonderful idea and she had a ball of a time!
A good 5k run on the beach late evening on Wednesday. Meena and Sneha took to the boats for a short rowing outing. Meena hasn’t rowed for the last 10 years and I’m so glad she finally got around doing it.
Interesting podcasts this week:
- Planet Money Episode 951: Snakebite: First steps towards making anti-venom obsolete.
Interesting tools this week:
- Fraidycat: A browser extension to follow people from all sort of medium based on RSS feeds
- RAWGraphs: The missing link between spreadsheets and data visualisation
- Corteza: An open-source digital work platform [#CRM]
Interesting videos this week:
Interesting reads this week:
- Five Things You Probably Didn’t Know GPS Could Do: Interesting applications of the GPS in atmosphere and Geo-sciences
- It’s Official: Voyager 2 Has Left Our Solar System And Is Sailing in Interstellar Space: Following Voyager 1 into the vast unknown of the interstellar space, Voyage 2 is now believed to have breached the heliopause on Nov 5th, 2019 with it’s plasma instrument still functional!
- I Bought an Elephant to Find Out How to Save Them: Exploiting a loophole in the Laos laws, elephants are being ‘leased’ out to Chinese zoo managers, never to return. Goes without saying, all with the possible involvement of Laos officials.
And, that’s a wrap!